Saturday, 10 March 2012
I've been working some more on the Shrapnel comic cover in the past couple of days. I had a bit of an issue with it a couple of weeks ago where I attempted to start painting, but it wasn't working as well as I liked. After a bit of research into other people's work I have decided to take a new approach and start by doing an underpainting of sorts. I understand that underpaintings are usually monochromatic and serve to just lay out the various values of the painting, but due to the way I paint and the variety of colours I use I decided to underpaint in colour. This helps me figure out the use of warm and cool colours to suggest depth.
Below are various stages in my underpaint layer so far. It's taken me a while because I have never done one before, but with practise I'm sure I'll be able to work it out more quickly. Bear in mind this is an UNDERpainting, so the final thing will not resemble this at all. This is just for the purpose of roughly blocking out values.
|Above, I desaturated the image to check I had a wide enough range of values to suggest the depth I wanted. It still needs work but I am getting there. So hopefully I will be able to start painting soon!|